30 Amazing Ballet Facts
4 Amazing Ballet Facts
·A male dancer lifts over 1–1/2 tons worth of ballerinas during performances.
·Most ballerinas wear out 2–3 pairs of pointe shoes per week.
·One tutu costs up to $2,000 to make.
·The same tutu requires 60–90 hours of labor and over 100 yards of ruffle.
More Amazing Ballet Facts:
- One ballet dance lasts on average four hours.
- Together, male dancers’ tights stretch across the length of the stage and back just over three times.
- A ballerina wears 50 to 150 tutus in her lifetime.
- One ballet performance can take up to 5,000 hours of practice.
- Combined, ballerinas jump 900 feet into the air during performances.
- A ballerina’s dedication to her craft can last longer than her physical ability to perform.
- A ballet studio has 400 planks of wood.
- A studio’s wood floor must be maintained by using a 17″ floor buffer monthly.
- To prevent damage to the wood floor, spills must be cleaned up immediately.
- Dance studio wood floors must be mopped using a micro-fiber mop head.
- Studio owners may build their own floating sub floor for a fraction of the price it would cost to use a contractor.
- Installing a floating sub floor takes two people about five days to complete.
- A plastic putty knife can be used to remove gum. Do not use a metal putty knife.
- A male dancer wears out 4,000 pairs of tights over a lifetime.
- Floor should be re-coated with a new coat of finish at least once a year.
- The sight of a tutu increases joy in 60% of ballet audience members.
- Only a small fraction of ballet students make it to the big time.
- Laid side-to-side, the fabric used to make leotards reaches farther than you’d think.
- Ash barres are some of the least expensive barres.
- One ballerina touches a barre thousands (!) of times.
- Friendship between ballerinas can last years.
- A ballerina can spend hundreds or up to thousands of dollars on pointe shoes.
- Dance floors are swept daily.
- One ballerina is enough to power one (small) facility.
- Dance floors are mopped every three days.
- When a male dancer catches a female dancer he uses the strength it would take to lift some of the larger objects.
- Some ballerinas have been dreaming of this for one lifetime.
- On Earth there have been over 3,000 ballerinas.
- The buns into which ballerinas style their hair require a combined 400 hours of styling per performance.
- And then one more thing about the floors.